Every day we hear more and more about how important it is that we start taking care of our environment if we want our planet to enjoy a sustainable future. While the blame game always seems to be big news, solutions and advice on how we ordinary folk can actually make a difference appears to be in short supply.
For the most part, many of us tend to view things we do as stand-alone actions, not realising just how much everything we do makes a big impact on everything else and often has unforeseen consequences. Consider how the chemicals you use in your home impact negatively on the sewage system. Or how chemicals and the plastic you throw away returns to you in the water you drink. Small actions literally have major effects on our environment.
The most important step to making a real green difference is to start thinking of your life holistically and how all your actions are in fact related to one another. Even though it may not seem like it, implementing small changes in your everyday routine will start to create a positive impact on the entire system.
4 Tips on Saving the Envrionment
Here are four easy ways you can start helping our environment to become a healthier one. For more tips on being more environmentally conscious, visit our blog..
Tip #1: Cut Down on Plastic
Plastic waste littered everywhere has a massive negative impact on the environment. It strangles our oceans, clogs up stormwater drains causing flood damage during heavy rains and tons of it ends up at landfill taking untold years to break down, rather than being responsibly recycled.
- Say no to plastic straws. Instead, invest in a metal, glass or bamboo reusable straw.
- Support more fast food outlets that serve in recyclable containers and offer green utensils.
- Make more use of reusable containers like Tupperware rather than resorting to cling wrap.
- Buy products in glass or metal containers wherever possible – Coke in a can vs a buddy bottle.
- Up-cycle plastic containers or bottles into seedling propagation pots or vertical gardens, make a watering container or scooper for gardening, make a nifty outdoor broom or find out how to support a local eco-brick making program.
Read Next: 7 Tips for Food Waste Reduction in Restaurants
Tip #2: Use Green Products
We have pretty much been ‘trained’ to believe that all bacteria are a health hazard and need to be eliminated. Truth be told, every human body is literally walking bacteria whereby we have one human cell to ten bacteria cells! It is thus extremely important that the good bacteria in our bodies and our environment, designed to keep us healthy, is preserved and nurtured in order to fight off any bad bacteria.